Sugarloaf RDA aims to improve the lives of people with special needs and disabilities by providing opportunities for horse riding. Our riders find that riding enriches their lives, by encouraging confidence, co-ordination and physical exercise.
Our riders :
- Benefit physically, improving muscle tone, posture and motor skills
- Benefit personally, by learning new skills, and achieving something to tell family and friends about
- Benefit socially, by getting out, making friends, and being part of a team
- Enjoy the outdoors, by riding out in the countryside
- Enjoy their ponies, bringing a new dimension into their life
And most of all, they have fun !
Volunteers and Fundraising
We’re proud of our team of volunteers, and we rely completely on them. Their help and support for our riders is vital to Sugarloaf. New volunteers are always welcome. If you’d like to make a real difference to people’s lives, at the same time as learning new skills and making friends, please read more.
We need to fundraise to keep our regular weekly rides going, and also to build our project for the future. We hold regular fund raising events, which are very well supported by our local community. Local companies are also strong supporters and sponsors.
We want to do more to help people in our area. For example, there are over 200 schoolchildren with disabilities in Thurrock alone. There is always a waiting list of people wanting to ride with us. Therefore we have launched a majorproject to help grow in the future.
The Riding for the Disabled Association
We are part of the Riding for the Disabled Association, , which has provided opportunities for riding for over 40 years. Through it’s 500 groups and 18,000 volunteers it provides riding for 28,000 participants.
You can find us on Facebook now for more updates!